Monday, June 13, 2011

I might be a Hippie

Big House vs.

We must be backwards...I was listening to Zach talk the other day, and he was saying how his aunt is moving because they need more room.  It was then that it dawned on me that we are weird.  His aunt has two young boys and they live in a pretty decent size home...I thought it was big. 
We have a couple more kids then her and we are looking to downsize our home.  We want less home and more land for less money.  

Small House

Just in case you are curious here are some other things that make us weird.  We really enjoy not watching tv.  It's rarely on.  (If I could do it without getting caught, I would totally bust the tv!)  We have no idea what goes on in the world...
I want chickens and goats.  I want a food forest.  I hardly buy any toys for my kids.  I've started making them things.  I hate credit cards.  I own a skirt made out of a table cloth.  I try not to buy chips, and Brian has to force me to buy pop.  (What do we drink??  Water.)  I have to physically force my child to wear underwear.  I'm sure there are a ton more but that is all I can think of.


2 comments:

Dan Garvin said...

That's my girl!

Alana said...

Well if those are qualifiers for the title of "hippie" we are right up there with you. :o) No shame in what we are doing.

I feel the same way. I love my SMALL farm house with land for my boys to run and explore. I love my chickens, cats, and am looking to purchasing a baby goat this year from a friend. We have few store bought toys and most of them come from DI (or as gifts from family), the same with the few clothes we have. We make or grow most of our own food from bread, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, to making our own "organic" pesticides for the greenhouse and garden. We are totally into natural healing and we love worms...compost worms. I try to recycle everything and I feel guilty throwing away the things I can't. I will be using cloth diapers with my new baby and we don't have TV/Cable stations. I too would like to get rid of the TV all together. The same with the microwave and fridge. Someday I will be brave and make the move. All I am missing I guess is the Subaru. :o)

I think if we were neighbors we'd be great friends. :o)